If you have a Facebook business page for your restaurant or bar, you should have seen the little icons in the upper left corner of your cover image rotating between picture and video. That’s right! Facebook began rolling out video covers back in April. You can now add a video to your cover image on your Facebook page. Why is this important? I’ll explain.
Video Is King
A few years ago, “Content is king” was all the rage in social media. Though there are some who would say it is no longer king, they would be mistaken. Content is still extremely important, but the way you get your content out there has changed. Instead of long missives, people are looking for faster, easier, and more engaging ways to interact. Enter video.
Video is the fastest growing content type for social. Everyone is in on the game. YouTube (of course), Periscope, Snap(chat), Instagram, Facebook Live… I could go on, but you get the picture. Video is definitely the king of the roost.
Video And You
Restaurants and bars are ideal subjects for videos. People love seeing things being made. Heck, there’s even a TV show dedicated to it. Restaurants and bars can capitalize on this easily. Between your cooks banging away in the kitchen, producing great food and your bartenders behind the stick, shaking and stirring drinks all for the enjoyment of your guests, you have plenty opportunities to turn those moments into visually appealing draws for your social media.
Because video is so new, there is no need to spend a lot of money or time getting the perfect shot. Currently, people are documenting their days – working out, putting on makeup, choosing outfits, eating – and they are expecting everyone else, including their favorite brands, to do the same. Most of the video we see today has very little production behind it, meaning it is mostly taken with cell phones. You can do the same.
How To Start
Really? Just start! It’s super simple. Finding the best angle to shoot from will be the hardest part, and maybe getting some decent light on the subject, especially in a dark bar, but other than that, just do it (as Nike would say). Grab your cell phone, open your camera app, change to video, and shoot a few minutes here and there.
Of course, there are a few things you need to take into consideration…
- Talk to your staff – tell them you are planning on adding video to your social media pages. Let them know you would like to get action shots of them making drinks or cooking.
- Choose your subject – make sure it is something visually exciting. Making one of your sexy signature cocktails with the beautiful garnish or cooking one of your dishes that causes a flame flare are a couple of ideas for an eye-catching video.
- Do a couple of takes – find a few different camera angles and see which look best. Should your bartenders be seen from the angle of the guest or behind the bar? Should you get up close to the cooks or get a more broad look with a focus on the flames? That’s up to you and what looks best.
- Edit and post – once you have your footage, watch it critically. Choose the best places to start and stop. If you don’t like it, reshoot it. If you want to add text, do so. Maybe the name of the drink or food in the video, the name of your venue, a phone number for reservations, or maybe some inspirational text like “Our happy hour is waiting for you!” Once you have what you’re looking for, post it!
Facebook Cover Videos
There are some rules for the cover videos you will need to keep in mind.
- You must shoot in landscape or horizontal mode.
- Videos should be between 20 and 90 seconds long.
- Your video should be 1080p.
- Pick the perfect thumbnail for the still version.
And really, that’s it! What are you waiting for? Lights, camera, action!